- The paper must be written by someone with knowledge of nursing background. The paper must be written from a nurse practitioner (NP) point of view. Unlike nurses, NP’s can prescribe within the United States. Please review The paper must be based on the Prescribing control authority for Nurse practitioners in the state of Illinois. If you don’t know the proper role of nurse practitioner vs a nurse (read that by googling).
PAPER MUST BE 4 PAGES AND MUST HAVE 5 SOURCES (GOVERNMENT WEBSITE, JOURNALS, ETC.)
Must be written from the role of NP in state of Illinois
Must be in APA format
GUIDELINES FOR ASSIGNMENT
I. Guidelines and recommendations for your state:
In response to the opioid epidemic, individual states have developed and adopted voluntary guidelines or recommendations for the treatment of acute and chronic non-cancer pain. Based on research done on the state where you will practice clinically, include the following:
- Provide the name of your practicing state’s organization, group or task force that created guidelines or recommendations for pain management therapies and education.
- Briefly describe an overview of its development and include a web address where this information can be found. If your state does not have guidelines, discuss a federal guideline. (Note: you may need to contact your state’s board of nursing, pharmacy or medicine if you cannot locate it on your own).
- Some states have multiple organizations or initiatives (ex: Ohio) in place to combat the opioid epidemic and advocate for safer opioid prescribing. Discuss whether or not your state has other resources, groups or organizations where prescribers can reference best practices for pain management treatment. If applicable, provide a brief overview of the group’s recommendations or initiatives. If your state does not have another state-specific resource, discuss the guidelines published by the American Pain Society.
II. State specific laws on controlled substance prescribing for the nurse practitioner:
Research your state laws on advanced practice nurses’ authority to prescribe controlled substances. Based on research done on the state where you will practice clinically, include the following:
- Identify the law, rule, code or statute that describes the advanced practice nurse’s authority to prescribe controlled substances in your state.
- Discuss the provisions of the law, rule, code or statute with regard to the following:
- Conditions or limits on prescribing schedule I-V controlled substances.
- Requirements (if any) in documentation for treating acute and chronic pain.
- Are there specific requirements for advanced practice nurses to reference the state’s prescription drug monitoring database before prescribing a controlled substance? If so, what are they?
III. State Prescription Drug Monitoring Program (PDMP):
Research your state’s PDMP (prescription drug monitoring program) for Nurse Practitioners in the state of Illinois, USA.LOOK UP THE PDMP for state of Illinois for this paper.
and provide the following information:
- Name of the state’s program.
- Website for the state PMDP.
- Discuss the registration requirements and process.
- Discuss the standards and procedures for the access and review of database information.
* As of 2019, all states except Missouri have a PDMP. If you will be practicing in
Missouri, please research one of the bordering states to complete this section.