Group presentation and supporting essay
In the 2,000 word essay, you will be asked to critically evaluate, using evidence-based knowledge, the challenges of communicating and promoting the initiative (use the same one as your group presentation) to a target group relating to Mental Health. You will be expected to explore these challenges in depth and demonstrate understanding of life course theory and biological concept.
Structure of essay as discussed at seminar by lecturer
- A short introduction saying what you will be doing – health initiative on obesity (Better Health Campaign) Target group or individual – Adult
- Summary of health initiative- (Better Health Campaign)
Better Health, 2020
- Biological concept – including biological perspective e.g. effect of obesity on the body
- Life course stage
Think of the ways in which a person’s lifestyle choices may be influenced by many factors. These may be psychological, cultural, social, or economic reasons. Or the environment in which they live with limited access to resources. Why might that person find it difficult to adopt different behaviour? Think of your specific field of practice. What factors influence behaviour change?
- Role of safeguarding, role as a nurse, understanding safeguarding
- Challenges in promoting and communicating the health initiative – using Heron’s communication theory to evaluate the effective ness of the campaign (Heron, 2001) Understating of Heron’s communication model- how effective is that compared and contrast with others like Rogers and Egan that are more effective compared to your chosen model and limitation of the model used.
- Limitations- what the campaign does not take into consideration e.g socio-economic status
What have you learnt from the group presentation, researching and how will that inform your practice?
Summarise main issues of chosen health initiative including discussion of concepts in biology– e.g. campaigns relating to obesity, smoking, alcohol misuse, immunisation, cancer screening, exercise…
Introduce the target group or person relating to your field of practice and the importance of safeguarding in relation to the nurse’s role:
Safeguarding means protecting people’s health, wellbeing and human rights, and enabling them to live free from harm, abuse and neglect. Safeguarding is fundamental to creating high-quality health and social care (Care Quality Commission, 2014)
Include lifecourse theory relating to your target group and critically evaluate. For example, how would physical or mental illness impact upon an individual? You can identify a stage within the lifecourse – younger person, older adult….
Critically evaluate the challenges of communicating and promoting the health initiative to your target group or individual.
What communication skills might you adopt in building a rapport and promoting the health initiative? Would the communication models of Rogers, Heron, or Egan for example, be useful?
What are your conclusions about the challenges of communicating and promoting a health initiative?
Outline insights of what you have learned and how might this learning inform future practice.
What skills and knowledge have you gained by working with others and delivering the group presentation and researching and writing your essay?
What is expected in ‘Masters’ level writing?
Critical insight – you should be able to evaluate the merits and limitations of literature that you have accessed demonstrating depth of knowledge.
Synthesis – you should be able to demonstrate some original thinking in the themes or subjects you discuss, for example what new insights and perspectives can you offer?
Creativity – can you demonstrate relevant imaginative, visionary or inventive ideas?
Communication of ideas – you should be able to articulate a coherent and logical progression of argument or discussion reflecting appropriate academic style.