Students will write a literature review research paper that describes what the student has learned about the research topic approved in the early part of the course. This is a first responder, crisis intervention course so avoid drifting into allied areas such as psychotherapy/counseling, medicine, law, economics and so forth. Keep your paper squarely focused on mental health, first responders, and crisis work in the specific area of your approved topic with your identified population of interest. Avoid personal experience or personal opinions in this paper as this is strictly a literature review paper with Scripture woven in.
Your paper must include the following:
- An APA or Turabian cover page.
- Abstract (be sure you know the difference in content/format between the abstract and an introduction).
- Body of the Report:
- Introduction – Use the appropriate APA or Turabian heading. Be sure to use this section to orient your reader and grab their interest. Why does this topic matter? What interesting background information can you share?
- Mental Health Dynamics / Symptoms – Describe mental health symptoms / relationship dynamics common in your population-of-interest. How can new crisis interventionists identify this population? What type of mental health issues typically arise? What type of relationship issues typically occur?
- Best Practices in Crisis Intervention – how can you can best help this population using best practices in crisis intervention? (HINT: avoid discussing counseling or psychotherapy. Focus only on acute care, immediate, urgent, crisis intervention.
- Spiritual Applications/Interventions – What does Scripture say about your topic area ?
- Cultural Considerations – What cultural concerns/considerations must we attend to when working with this population?
- Conclusion – Wrap up your paper discussing key themes and findings that you uncovered. NOTE: ***The conclusion of literature review papers must include at least a paragraph on “ideas for future research.” You just read the literature on your topic area so you are familiar with the literature. What seems to be missing? What should future researchers focus on?
- Reference page (APA or Turabian format required).
- Your paper must be between 12 – 15 pages. Any submissions less than 12 pages will be heavily penalized and prorated. Avoid going over 15 pages as you need to meet the minimum, but you also need to be succinct in your writing. All papers should land somewhere between 12-15 pages in the body of the report. This does not count the cover page, abstract, or reference pages.
- Current APA or Turabian formatting must be used throughout the paper. Review sample papers as guidelines. Key formatting requirements include but are not limited to: cover page, headers, Level 1 and 2 headings, citations, and references.
- A minimum of 15 scholarly sources (journals, books, government/educational websites) are required. At least 10 of your sources must be published within the last 5 years and all of them should be within 10 years unless one source is truly considered a “classic work” in the field and is used for historical context.
- Biblical application is required at least once in the paper using specific Scripture.
- Be sure to review the rubric for additional requirements before submitting your paper and use the rubric as a checklist to ensure that no requirements are missed before submission.
- Proofread your work carefully before submission.
Note: Your assignment will be checked for originality via the Safe Assign plagiarism tool.