112 Writing Assignment 1 Due Friday, 10/9/2020
Using the primary sources in the French Revolution folder and chapter 19, answer the following questions.
- What problems were faced by each of the groups within the Third Estate?
- List specific problems which make life difficult for each of the three groups within the Third Estate.
- Explain those problems: specific details of how and why they made life difficult for each group.
- What actions were taken by each of the groups within the Third Estate?
- List the specific actions taken by each of the three groups within the Third Estate to try to fix those problems.
- Explain how and why those actions were supposed to solve the problems.
These are not essays. They are also not short (one or two word) answers. The point of the assignment is to have you examine the problems faced by the different groups within the Third Estate, analyze those problems, and then examine and analyze the actions taken by each of the groups to fix those problems.
As long as you answer each question separately and address the parts of each question (provide specific examples/evidence and provide your explanations) the format is up to you. You may use bullet points, numbered lists, or short paragraphs.
INSTRUCTIONS POSTED ON BLACKBOARD (repeated here as a reminder):
- The purpose of the first written assignment is to have you examine and analyze the complaints and actions of each of the different groups within the Third Estate using the French Revolution primary sources provided and textbook chapter 19.
- Use of outside sources (Wikipedia, other websites, other books) is strictly prohibited and will result in a grade of Zero for the assignment.
- All answers must be in your own words. Plagiarism will result in a grade of Zero for the assignment.
- When answering, you must indicate in parentheses the document(s) and/or textbook page where you found the information — do this even if you are not quoting or paraphrasing.
- You are not being asked to write an essay, simply to list and explain certain specific problems and actions.
- If you are confused about anything — the readings, the questions, the assignment — please email me as soon as possible (not the night before it is due). Try to be as specific as possible about what confuses you so that I can be more helpful in my response.
- The completed assignment must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on Friday, October 9th. This gives you a full week in which to do it. You may submit it before then, but it will not be graded until after the due date.
- The assignment will be checked for plagiarism by SafeAssign, so it is essential that you follow the directions for submission correctly. I will post a video illustrating step-by-step how to submit your assignment.
- I will not accept any assignments which are submitted incorrectly. Assignments which do any of the following will receive a grade of zero:
- emailed rather than uploaded
- typed into the Text Submission section
- typed into the Comments box
- uploaded as a file which SafeAssign cannot read
- submitted without checking the “I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database” box