As you compose your reactions and takeaways, refer substantively to the podcasts; touch on how the war began and the issues that led to the eruption of violence; and talk about what the challenges of waging the conflict were for the British side as well as the colonial, revolutionary side; also say something about the people who were torn and did not wish to choose sides?
ALSO: point to three specific different passages in Common Sense (by Tom Paine) and explore how Paine’s arguments and his criticisms of English rule over the colonies provided colonists with tools to imagine and choose a new basis for their government and future society……
Please open the links for the materials: for the podcast and videos. The PDF readings are uploaded as files in the material section.
- Animated (video) map of the Revolutionary War:
- BFW PODCAST #280: “The British Are Coming” with Rick Atkinson:
- Short video overview #1 of “Common Sense.”
- Short video overview #2 of “Common Sense.”
- Short video overview #3 of “Common Sense.”
- Two PDF document (in materials)
- Common sense – Thomas Paine
- Lecture 7 – The long war 1775-1783
I have included the grading rubric in the material section.
- Rubric #1
- Rubric #2