Brauer, R. L. (2016). Safety and health for engineers (3rd ed.). Wiley.
We will explore principles of hazard control and materials handling. The main topics include sources of hazards, hazard control, control priorities, environmental hazards, job hazard analysis (JHA), manual materials handling, and NIOSH lifting equation.
You have been asked to conduct an ergonomic job hazard analysis (JHA) in a manufacturing facility that manufactures metal parts for an automotive company. One area of concern is the manual materials handling (MMH) throughout the facility.
Specifically, you have been tasked with conducting a JHA on the palletizing of shipping boxes once they are assembled.
Given the following worksheet (see the link below to download the worksheet), calculate (1) the recommended weight limit (RWL) and
(2) the lifting index using the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) lifting equation. Using the data and results, provide your written recommendations for corrective action against strenuous lifting tasks performed by employees in order to reduce risks and prevent injuries.
You should search the internet for possible solutions, if applicable.
Click here to download the JHA worksheet.
Respond to the details in each section, and format your report in APA style. Include at least each of the components below in your project.
- Briefly describe why the studies were performed (why you started the study), and explain how this job hazard analysis can improve the overall safety and health management program.
- In the introduction, compare the different techniques for performing a JHA and why the method chosen was appropriate for this scenario.
- Report detail: Briefly discuss the details of the scenario (what you found from the study).
- Conclusions/Recommendations: Briefly describe your recommendations based on your findings (what you recommend to resolve any deficiencies).
- Appendix: This will have your measurements and calculations (show your work). Include the JHA worksheet in this section.
The report should be at least three pages (double-spaced) in length (not counting the references page and appendices).
Prepare the report in a word-processing application, such as Microsoft Word, using APA Edition (7th) formatting.
See the chart and graphics below in order to complete your assignment.