Discussion Forum Guidelines
When posting messages to the Discussion Board, please follow these guidelines:
1. It’s best not to procrastinate; post your initial message early in the week so your classmates will have time to read the information and respond to your valuable input. It is also required that you post additional messages throughout the week that are either new contributions or replies to someone else.
2. Your messages should be concise and clearly written. Most ideas can be stated eloquently in a couple of paragraphs, but at times longer messages are needed to effectively deliver the concept.
3. Always! Always! Always! Be respectful to the ideas of other’s; including their opinions, and beliefs. It’s ok to disagree with your classmate and even the Instructor, but we must always be respectful and agree to disagree. Everyone has a right to think and digest ideas and conversations differently.
4. Just saying….”I agree” or “Great Points” or even “I agree with Mary she is correct with her beliefs and assumptions”, are poor posts. Simple two or three word statements should be avoided. It’s always important to describe your response with detailed information and even adding examples would be great.
5. A message that demonstrates substance contributes to the understanding and application of ideas by doing one or more of the following: Source: “Message Guidelines.”
1. Reflection about meaning: Describe thoughtfully what something means or new insights it provides or raise a question as a seed for clarification or further discussion.
2. Analysis: Discuss relevant themes, concepts, main ideas, components, or relationships among ideas. Or, identify hidden assumptions or fallacies in reasoning.
3. Elaboration: Build on ideas of others or ideas found in the readings by adding details, examples, a different viewpoint, or other relevant information.
4. Application: Provide examples of how principles or concepts can be applied to actual situations or discuss the implications of theory for practice.
5. Synthesis: Integrate multiple views to provide a summary, a new perspective, or a creative refashioning of ideas.
6. Evaluation: Assess the accuracy, reasonableness, or quality of ideas.
6. Online/hybrid shouting is the use of ALL CAPS! Please avoid this.
7. Confidentiality and HIPAA also applies to online/hybrid nursing courses. Let’s protect the privacy of our patients, friends and families. It’s ok to discuss a situation, but NO names please.
8. We also must abide by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) rules which find academic information is confidential and forbids disclosure of academic information without the participant’s consent.
9. Remember, inappropriate conduct will not be tolerated. The Instructor will read all posts, and all responses
10. Follow the Discussion Board Rubric for grading purposes and let’s aim for the maximum number of points allowable
11. Please follow the Discussion Board timeline below:
a) Discussion questions will be open for viewing on designated days.
b) Your Initial response to the discussion question is due by midnight on the designated day (see calendar). An initial response is required prior to responding to classmates.
c) Two responses are required on two different classmate postings prior to midnight on the designated days. – (see calendar)
d) References (at least one reference per post) must be included with each post using APA format.
e) Discussion posts format:
f) Initial posting must have the following format for subject: student’s last name, first initial,
(Johnson, T., Role Transition)
g) Responses must have the following format for subject: responding student’s last name,
first initial, response number (Johnson, T, response #1)
h) Students may choose which classmates’ post that they wish to respond to. (Must respond
to at least two classmates)Click the link below. Choose TWO topics and discuss examples of 1-5 below in your submission online. https://www.ahrq.gov/data/monahrq/myqi/nursing.html Quality Improvement is a constant in nursing practice, and involves: 1. Quality organizations (ANA, OSHA, CDC, etc.) 2. Collaborative activity/teamwork. 3. Research and measurement/evidence based practice. 4. Client Advocacy/protecting clients. 5. Continued education on quality practices/inservices, healthstreams.
Discussion Forum Guidelines