Permedia software coursework
Download all data related to the software as instructed in the manual provided on the moodle page. You must access the Permedia software via the Chemical Engineering server.
This is a group submission and counts towards 25% of your total module score. A group should comprise of 2 to 3 students. The names of participating students should be clearly indicated in your submission.
- Using the gamma ray logging tool, in conjunction with density or sonic log, identify the different lithological units in the stratigraphic column corresponding to the measured depth of 4000-8000 m in the logging unit. Use screen captures with captions to substantiate your answers. [Total marks = 7]
|Unable to assign lithology or, arbitrary assignment of lithology.||Units identified, based on gamma ray log, with assumptions and approach explained. A good attempt to use both logs in conjunction.||Units identified based on gamma log, supported by a second logging tool. Assumptions and approach clearly stated. Attention to details evident e.g. differentiating a silty sandstone unit or, two sandstone units with different porosities.|
- Calculate the overburden pressure of the formation by vertically integrating the bulk density log, using the 3 steps below. Use screen captures with captions to substantiate your answers, [Total marks = 3]
Step 1: The sample wireline log includes a bulk density log curve in g/cm3 – convert the bulk density units to kg/m3.
Step 2: Vertically integrate the bulk density.
Step 3: Add the gravity term.
|Incorrect approach to calculation of overburden pressure.||Partial completion of calculation of overburden pressure. (One to two of the three steps completed). Some inaccuracies in the calculation.||Calculation of overburden pressure using three step process.|
- Demonstrate how Permedia software can be used for basin modelling in the context of :
- Hydrocarbon bearing potential of the basin [Total marks = 8]
- Identification of prospect areas for exploration [Total marks = 7]
Use representative screen captures with captions (maximum of eight images to be used).
- Refer to the stratigraphic column of any hydrocarbon bearing basin to generate a cross-section using the Permedia software. The cross section must include some of the key rock units relevant to hydrocarbon generation (at least one of each – source, reservoir and cap rocks). Run a pressure temperature simulation to assess the thermal maturity and porosity of the relevant rock units. The stratigraphic section for Wessex Basin is provided and can be used as the type section (scroll down to the end).
- Perform trap volume analyses of the closure volumes and fill spill analyses to comment on the best prospect/target area.
|The cross section of the stratigraphic column of a hydrocarbon bearing basin was not generated. Inability to perform closure and spill fill analyses or incorrect approach.||A cross section was generated with attempt to model the burial history to assess the hydrocarbon generation and entrapment. Closure, trap volume and spill fill analyses performed with attempt to identifying prospect/target areas. References to where the petroleum may spill to. Some inaccuracies may be present.||Generation of a representative cross section with appropriate modelling of the burial history for thermal maturity and porosity. Closure analyses and trap volume analyses performed correctly with identification of the best prospect/target area validated by closure+trap volume analyses. Justified identification of where petroleum might spill to, validating correct performance of spill fill analyses.|
Scroll down for the Wessex basin stratigraphic column.