Assignment Learning Outcomes
1 Identify and apply an appropriate understanding of strategic management models in the context of managing contemporary issues
2 Conduct and analyse research on contemporary management issues for different organisational scenarios
3 Interpret and analyse contemporary influences and sources of change and to debate and defend how these may impact on managerial decision making
4 Reflect on their own understanding and knowledge of contemporary management issues to support their professional development
Please note that submissions after the hand in date will be subject to late penalties. The only exceptions to this are:
• If you have a disability statement granting you extra time to complete the assessment.
• If you consider that you have exceptional extenuating circumstances that prevent you submitting your assessment on time you may either:
o Request deferral of your assessment attempt until the next time the module is assessed, which will probably be at the resit or next time the module is taught
o Request a coursework extension.
• For either of these cases you must follow the University procedures for submitting a claim for Exceptional Extenuating Circumstances and make this claim seven working days before the assessment deadline.
You are advised to make yourself familiar with the Standard Undergraduate Assessment Regulations if you need to use this process.
Note on Plagiarism, Collusion and Cheating
When you submit the assignment, you declare that you:
• Have read and understand that university’s guidance on plagiarism and cheating.
• You confirm that it is solely your own work or, in the case of a group submission, that it is the result of joint work by members of the group that you represent.
• That it contains no unreferenced material from another source.
• That you keep a copy of the assignment.
Failure to abide by the rules will result in disciplinary action against you.
• Do not copy tracts of work from printed material, the internet or another student.
• Do not share an electronic copy of your work with anyone not concerned in its production.
• Use the Business School standard for Harvard Referencing http://www.bcu.ac.uk/essential/harvard.html
The assignment brief starts on the next page.
Assessment: Individual report, 2,500 words (100% weighting)
The module is assessed using one summative assessment, with three component parts, as follows:
• Section 1: Introducing and analysing a business/company of your choice utilising
strategic management models (1,000 words) (40% of marks)
• Section 2: A debate on one of the four contemporary issues and the ongoing impact it
has on the management of your chosen business/company (1,000 words) (40% of marks)
• Section 3: Utilising Models, a reflection on your learning experience of contemporary
management issues and how it will support your personal development (500 words) (20% of marks)
Section 2 contemporary issues, one of these four topics should be debated:
Ethical Trade and Practices
Learning outcomes assessed 1, 2, 3 & 4
To pass the assessment:
• Include a cover page and an index.
Section 1 (1,000 words, 40% of marks):
Introducing and analysing a business/company of your choice utilising strategic management models.
• Select any business you wish and explain why you chose this company (200 words). This is your case study. It can be a huge, Fortune 500 company or a small one – it is your choice. It could be a company that you work for or have worked for.
• Provide a brief overview of the business (product/service, ownership, structure and market position) (200 words)
• Identify the strategic management model(s) you are going to use (100 words)
• Apply and discuss the strategic model(s) you have chosen (400 words)
• Conclude section 1, linking it to section 2 (and the contemporary issue) (100 words)
Section 2 (1,000 words, 40% of marks):
A debate on one of the four contemporary issues and the ongoing impact it has on the management of your chosen business/company
• Select one global contemporary issue from the four topics listed above and explain why you have chosen it (50 words)
• Introduce the issue (100 words)
• Apply it to a business of your choice (200 words).
• Critically debate the issue, focusing on how it impacts on the management of and within the business (500 words)
• Provide a conclusion and recommendations (150 words)
Section 3 (500 words, 20% of marks):
Utilising a model or models, a reflection on your learning experience of contemporary management issues and how it will support your personal development.
• Introduce which model(s) you will be utilising (100 words)
• Reflect on your learning experience utilising and critically analysing the model (300 words)
• Suggest how this will support your personal development (100 words)
You are asked to provide academic evidence where appropriate to support and justify your points with particular emphasis placed on peer-reviewed journal articles. Full academic referencing and structure will be expected.
Assignment Learning Outcomes