MSc Work Psychology / MSc Business Psychology
Well-being and Work demand linked to employees psychological health and well-being
JD-R Literature search report (2,000 words)
This assignment requires you to apply the Job Demands-Resources Model. Select one demand and one resource from the lists below.
Demands (choose one): high volume of work / workload; high time pressure and intense work; emotionally demanding work; role ambiguity.
Resources (choose one): high job control / autonomy; accurate, timely and useful feedback on performance; co-worker / colleague support; supervisor / line manager support.
Carry out a literature search to collect evidence about the strength and consistency of the links between each and employee health and well-being.
Include only research published from 2010 onwards. You may include some older references to clarify concepts and to report particularly influential findings if you feel this is necessary. However, the majority of references to research should be to work published from 2010 onwards. Your search must focus on identifying good quality research and be very up-to-date.
Present a review of the findings from your literature search. This review should help the reader to answer the following questions:
- To what extent is the demand linked to employees’ psychological health and well-being?
- To what extent is the resource linked to employees’ psychological health and well-being?
In your report, ensure that you comment fully on the quantity and quality of evidence available to you.
Present your findings as a report for a qualified occupational psychologist: this style of report often resembles an academic essay.
Note: Present up to 1,000 words discussing the evidence linked to the demand and up to 1,000 words discussing the evidence linked to the resource. Use sub-headings to show where each section of your report begins.
Bullying Survey Design (1,000 words excluding in-text references in this case only)
A call centre manager has approached you to design a survey to help them identify the type, extent and impact of bullying perpetrated by staff. The call centre employs 1000 staff across three sites and is part of a company that supplies energy (gas and electricity) to homes across the U.K. Call handlers deal with enquiries from customers about invoices / bills and interruptions to service.
The manager has become concerned about bullying as, during the last 12 months, 10 employees have been absent for long spells citing stress caused by bullying as the reason for their absence. Four weeks ago the manager carried out a brief anonymous online survey (hosted by a reputable online survey provider). It contained the following questions:
Have you been bullied at work? YES/NO
Have you seen anyone else being bullied at work? YES/NO
490 employees completed the survey. 30% of respondents reported experiencing bullying and 70% reported seeing other people being bullied.
As a matter of urgency, the call centre manager would like to gather more details on the issue so that interventions can be designed to tackle the problem. They would like an online survey to be distributed to all staff and be available for completion over a two-week period. A high response rate is needed in order to examine properly the issue.
Write a report for the call centre manager that deals with the following questions they have for you:
- How should the incidence of bullying be measured?
- How should more detailed data about the bullying (e.g. type, frequency etc.) be collected?
- What data about relevant characteristics of the perpetrators and victims of bullying should be collected?
- What data should be collected to help understand the impact that bullying may be having on staff?
- What can be done to maximise response rates and to ensure that the survey is conducted in an ethical way?
Give clear recommendations in response to these questions. You may suggest more than one approach if you wish. Provide reasons for your recommendations in language that is accessible and clear for the call centre manager. Be open an honest about any limitations in your approach (e.g. uncertainties that may remain after the data have been collected and analysed).
Ensure that your recommendations are informed by reference to good quality research. Therefore, you must include references* and a reference list although you can assume that these would then be removed in the version you supplied to the Call Centre manager.
Under a separate heading, present a technical note of no more than 100 words. In this note describe how you would analyse the survey data to: i) identify the types of bullying that are being reported and ii) to quantify the impact on staff of witnessing or being subjected to bullying. Please comment specifically on how the data from the questionnaire should be analysed (e.g. name the types of statistical tests to be conducted and how the findings should be interpreted). This section of the report can be written in technical language as it is not intended for the call centre manager. The 100 words for this note are included in the word count for this assignment.
*As these references would be removed in the report for the client, on this occasion in-text references are not included in the word count.
Wellbeing Intervention Programme. Discuss, Design and Evaluate (2,000 words)
This assignment focuses on developing, running and evaluating interventions that are designed to have an impact on work-related well-being.
With reference to course material and to your own wider reading, outline a well-being intervention designed to enhance employee flourishing for Advanced Care Homes Ltd.
There are many alternatives to consider when developing well-being interventions. Your task is to present one possible well-being intervention that develops employee flourishing to the organisation in the form of a written proposal.
You may choose to design your intervention to be either a
- Primary wellbeing intervention
- A secondary wellbeing intervention
About the Organisation
Advanced Care Homes (ACH) Ltd runs national care homes for elderly, vulnerable and disabled people, these are known as service users. The organisation has 50 care homes in a range of locations in the East, West Midlands and Yorkshire. They have a large staff team of 1350 people. There is a senior leadership team based at head office of 12 people. The organisation consists of administrative staff, area managers, home managers and team leaders who support large teams of part time and full-time care workers.
The care workers work a range of shifts including nights. The organisation is very diverse with 32 different nationalities within the whole staff team, a lot of these staff have English as their second or third language. The care workers are essential to the running of the organisation. They work directly with the service users providing all aspects of care. The way care workers interact with the service users has a huge influence on their experience of care provided by the organisation.
ACH are finding it hard to recruit and retain staff. Many of the staff are struggling with workload, working hours and the emotional demands of caring for vulnerable service users. Some of the staff have reported high levels of stress and some members of staff are experiencing burnout. The regional managers, home managers and team leaders have identified it is hard to find cover for staff absence due to sickness. Often the home managers and team leaders cover the shifts themselves to the detriment of their own wellbeing and workload. Two long serving, experienced and well-regarded area managers have just resigned.
The senior leaders of the organisation have recognised that poor staff wellbeing is having a negative impact on their organisation. They have heard that an effective way to develop staff wellbeing is to improve flourishing.
You have been asked to propose a wellbeing intervention that develops flourishing. They have asked that your proposal cover the following
- Be based on relevant up-to-date evidence and literature about flourishing
- Aim to reduce staff stress and burnout
- Aim to improve staff wellbeing
- Work across the different sites and homes
- Positively impact the whole organisation
- Consider the differences between the staff members, such as culture, gender and personality
- Run alongside the staff’s usual workload and not take them away from their duties and responsibilities for large amounts of time
- Indirectly benefit the service users
Your proposal report should contain the following:
- Discussion– explain how you have developed your intervention to meet the needs of the staff and organisation. Include a relevant and concise summary of evidence, that highlights the effectiveness of the approach you have taken for your intervention to meet those needs.
- Design– explain how you will design and deliver the intervention for the organisation. How long is it, how many staff are involved, how will it run? This section may also include diagrams or tables to explain the design or delivery process (these are included in the word count). Consider both practical and ethical issues in your design and delivery.
- Evaluation– how will you know the intervention has been effective, what relevant measurements, will you use to ensure employee wellbeing has been improved? How have you chosen these measures? How will conduct your evaluation? You may include examples of the measures in your appendices, they are not included in your word count.
- Reference list- a full reference list. This is not included in your word count.