For this assignment, you will have to produce a 4 to 5 paged research essay on a topic that you feel passionate about or on topic related to your future career. Your essay must advocate for a change to the status quo. You MUST avoid topics that might trigger an emotional response in your classmates such as abuse, abortion, etc. You are required to submit an essay proposal, and your topic must be approved by the professor. Your essay must be in APA format.
Your essay must contain the following:
- A focussed introduction
- A 3-story thesis that is logical and debatable
- A road map to your argument
- Clear topic sentences
- A counter argument and a refutation
- 5 sources – at least two must be scholarly. The others may come from professional sources i.e.) newspapers, government websites and reports
- A conclusion that pushes your argument further i.e.) addressing social implications, laying groundwork for future research
Organization (5 marks)-All components present and in a logical order, contains clear topic sentences, makes use of transition words and phrases.
Content (15 marks)-Focussed intro and strong thesis, well argued with solid evidence and credible sources, quotations used correctly, rhetorically persuasive, strong counterargument and refutation, use of academic language, powerful conclusion that addresses significance.
APA (3 marks)-Correctly formatted title page, reference page, and in-text citations.
Clarity (2 marks)-Utilizes clear and accessible language.