‘Is it that an effective sponsor is key to effective and successful projects? or
is it the presence of an effective project manager that improves project success?’
The context for the report is a project managed by ACNDX, a European business involving the design, build, and handover of a 5G data and telecoms system in the Middle East.
The advent of the COVID 19 pandemic and political instability has badly delayed the project. The project manager is a very experienced and competent person but feels that the business case is not viable given the changed situation.
NKCR the entrepreneur founder and Chief Executive Officer of ACNDX believes that it is the Project Manager that is at fault and that good risk management and a better project manager would have prevented the present problems.
The project steering group have asked the project Sponsor (you) to report on the situation and present possible solutions to the conflict between the CEO and project manager.
Critically discuss the role of the project sponsor in project management utilising appropriate theoretical models to identify how the sponsor should champion the project and relate to the project manager.
This report should be in the form of an Executive Report and include: Cover Page + Executive Summary + Contents Page + Introduction + Main Report + Conclusion + Appendices + References (using the Harvard referencing system).
In your answerx you should discuss issues such as:
• Team building and motivation
• How Risk and conflict management can help in the success of projects.
You will need to take the following into account when producing this report.
• Establishment of relevant theory (e.g. what do we mean by role conflict in a project management context and what is the relationship between sponsor, executives and project managers in theoretical terms?).
• Allocation of credit and sources used;
• Clarity of argument and relevance to the project management context;
Please do use diagrams, illustrations, tables, graphics etc. wherever these are helpful.
Please try to use theory explicitly at all stages, but do not spend too much time describing a theory. While you must be explicit about the theories, models, techniques etc. that you use in the report, you can assume that the readers are familiar with them. What the readers require is evidence of the ability to understand and apply the theory and learn from in order to support the development of your findings and/or ideas.
- Apply knowledge of the theory and practice of project planning and control and the use of Project Management methods and techniques.
- Critically evaluate the use of techniques in leading, planning, control and process management.
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of the importance of Project Management in the development and maintenance of sustainable and global organisations operating in complex market environments
- Present knowledge and application of the techniques of estimating, forecasting and resource management.
- Critically appraise project outcomes for the purpose of improvement.
The maximum word count is 3000 words. The word count does not include title page + executive summary page + contents page + appendices page or references page.
Key Marking Criteria:
Use of theory 30
Quality of argument 15
Citation and References 10