● Discussion 3.2: You are the Vice President for Network Operations of Regnat Populus Health System, comprised of three hospitals and two clinics. The system is located in “the Delta,” the most rural parts of Arkansas. You want to inform the In-House Counsel (Attorney) and the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) about the value of telehealth. Prepare a short slide presentation, not to exceed 10 slides including the title slide and references slide.
Focus on the Medicare and Medicaid populations served by the hospitals and clinics. (Find some data that reflect populations in rural Arkansas). Explain how they will benefit from telehealth. Now, find the laws in the state of Arkansas that pertain to telehealth. How will the laws help you to leverage your vision of instituting telehealth across the hospital system and clinics? What are the common legal barriers to instituting telehealth? How can they be overcome?
Attach the presentation to the discussion board so that classmates may review and comment on the content.
Read: Lecture Week 3
1. Licensure, States’ Rights, and Federalism: ● Sozio, S.G., Stratford, T.K., & Noel. C.F. (2010). Provena Covenant Medical Center v. Department of Revenue: Illinois Supreme Court Suggests New, Narrow Tests for Charity Care. JonesDay. https://www.jonesday.com/iProvena-Covenant-Medical-Center-v-Department-of-Revenuei-Illinois-Supreme-Court-Suggests-New-Narrow-Tests-for-Charity-Care-03-25-2010/
2. Certificates of Need: ● CaseBriefs (n.d.). Provena Covenant Medical Center v. Department of Revenue. https://www.casebriefs.com/blog/law/health-law/health-law-keyed-to-furrow/the-structure-of-the-health-care-enterprise/provena-covenant-medical-center-v-department-of-revenue/
3. Not for Profit Status: ● NAIC Model HMO Act: http://www.naic.org/store/free/MDL-430.pdf
● The HMO ACT: https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v37n3/v37n3p35.pdf
● CON-Certificate of Need State Laws: http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/con-certificate-of-need-state-laws.aspx
● State certificate-of-need laws weather persistent attacks: http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20160123/MAGAZINE/301239964