A Culture of Mathematical Thinking
Limited consideration is given to understanding how mathematical thinking creates a culture of mathematics, yet numbers and relations are part of everyday existence. In this course, we examined the fantasy Batue (Baa-two’-e) culture to understand how mathematical thinking influences relationships.
In this assignment, you will analyze data provided in The Batue Culture Report; evaluate the validity, reliability, and relevancy of the information and data, and compare and contrast the Batue with a real-life population.
- View/Download the resource, The Batue Culture Report (PDF) In the material , for use in this assignment.
- Create a 3- to 5-page paper (not including the title and references pages) in a Word document for your response.
- Use APA format for the paper, the title page, the references page, and the in-text citations.
- Develop an introduction and conclusion for your paper.
- Follow the steps to complete the assignment.
Part 1: Batue Culture
Step 1. Access and Analyze
Access The Batue Culture Report via the link above. Examine and analyze the information and data in report of the fantasy Batue culture provided by fictional anthropologists John Urban and Shelia Tripp who have spent the last year analyzing this cultural group.
Step 2. Observe and Question
Create a list of observations and/or questions related to the information and data reviewed in The Batue Culture Report.
Step 3. Analyze and Evaluate
In separate paragraphs for each topic, analyze and evaluate the role of validity, reliability, and relevancy of the information and data.
Part 2: Relevancy
Step 4. Identify Data Set
Identify a population data set from a real-life context. This also will be used in next assignment
Step 5. Compare and Contrast
Compare and contrast the Batue culture with the real-life context.
- What is the mathematical significance between a smaller population and a larger one?
Step 6. Conclude
In your conclusion, address these questions:
- How do we use mathematical information to guide our understanding of culture?
- How do you determine the accuracy of mathematical information related to specific cultural groups?