Due February 24
Week 2 Assignment Content
In this assignment you further define your project scope and identify data sources that help you determine how to address your selected problem.
Determine the scope of your selected problem. Consider both qualitative and quantitative data, for example:
o Leader and peer interviews
o Patient/customer surveys
o Quality reports
o Benchmarking studies/baseline data. If baseline data is available:
o What are the goals?
o Are current practices meeting the organizational goals?
o Are the prescribed practices followed?
Review and aggregate the data.
Determine the level of risk and frequency of the problem to determine the importance of the project.
Looking at the information you have gathered so far, determine whether the project lends itself to an evidence-based practice approach or a quality improvement project.
Format your assignment as one of the following:
o 8 to 10-slide presentation
o Or 875-word paper
Submit the assignment.
Please refer to the following grading rubric as you formulate your assignment:
NSG/498 Senior Leadership Practicum
Week 2: Information Management: Defining the Scope
Content: 160 points possible Points possible Points earned Comments
Determined the scope of the problem, considering appropriate qualitative and quantitative data points 40
Reviewed and aggregated data accurately and drew accurate conclusions based the findings 40
Determined the level of risk to illustrate the importance of the project 40
Selected the appropriate approach for the project 40
Format: 20 points possible Points possible Points earned Comments
Followed a structure that is clear, concise, and appropriate; maintained a scholarly tone. Free of grammar, syntax, and spelling errors. Proper APA was followed. 10
Included at least 4 references. 10
General questions for this week’s activities
Evidence-based Practice Models
• Read Johns Hopkins Nursing Evidence-Based Practice: Models and Guidelines,
o Ch. 4: The Practice Question.
Explore the following evidence-based practice models located in the University Library:
• The Iowa Model of Evidence-Based Practice to Promote Quality Care from AORN Journal, Volume 103, Issue 1, January 2016, page 53
• Johns Hopkins Nursing Evidence-Based Practice Model and PET Tool
Review key quality improvement strategies to apply to this week’s assignment:
• Root Cause Analysis from The Joint Commission
• Root Cause Analysis from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
• Failure Modes and Effects Analysis from Institute for Healthcare Improvement
• Plan-Do-Study-Act from Institute for Healthcare Improvement
Note: The Failure Modes and Effects Analysis document is provided from www.IHI.org with permission of the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI),
NSG/498: Senior Leadership Practicum
• Week 2
• Dearholt, S. & Dang, D. (2017). Johns Hopkins Nursing Evidence-Based Practice: Models and Guidelines. Indianapolis, IN: Sigma Theta Tau International.
• Brent James, MD: Using data to transform healthcare delivery. Healthcare Financial Management, 66(3), 66-70.
• Brennan, P. F., & Bakken, S. (2015). Nursing needs big data and big data needs nursing. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 47(5), 477-484.
• Foster, S. (2012). Triangulating data to improve care. Nursing Management, 19(3), 14-19.
• Shaw-Taylor, Y. (2014). Making quality improvement programs more effective. International Journal of Health Care Quality Assurance, 27(4), 264-270.
• White, S., & Spruce, L. (2015). Perioperative nursing leaders implement clinical practice guidelines using the Iowa model of evidence-based practice. AORN Journal, 102(1), 50-59.