Pop Culture Assignment
Purpose: To use the analytical tools we are learning in class to examine current events, media, and pop culture.
Directions: For this assignment, you must choose a text from the media or popular culture, such as a movie or TV clip, news article, podcast clip, or music video. Then you must explicitly and critically relate the “text” you have chosen to at least one reading from the course. You will get extra credit for relating the “text” to a reading from the week on which you submit your assignment, but you can choose any reading from up until (and including) that day. You will present your media analysis to the class.
- Options: you can submit a 1-2 page brief or give a 5-7 minute presentation (pre-recorded or live on Zoom)
- Briefly introduce the “text”: make sure you give enough information/background so anyone could understand the piece of media
- Show the “text” you have chosen to the class (if presenting) or link to it in your presentation
- Explicitly and critically relate the “text” you have chosen to at least one reading from the course, making sure to explain the theory/learning from the reading and how this piece of media exemplifies it or how that theory/reading helps us understand it
Grading (20 points total):
- Sending presentation or brief to instructor before class: 1 point
- Selection of interesting media/pop culture “text” relevant to the course: 3 points
- Clear explanation of the “text” and reading (adequate background/information): 6 points
- Explicitly relate the text to at least one course reading in an interesting way: 5 points
- Clear presentation/writing style: 5 points
- 1 bonus point for relating the text to a reading from that day/week