DISCUSSION 10.1 : Cost, Quality and Access
Question: Considering what you have learned this week, what are the most important issues in balancing cost, quality, and access? What are the ways to solve or overcome these issues? Please support your answers with credible evidence.
Fisher, Goodman, Skinner, Bronner – Health Care Spending, Quality, and Outcomes- More Isn’t Always Better
- Reduce the cost of quality healthcare
- Berwick, D., & Fox, D. M. (2016). “Evaluating the Quality of Medical Care”: Donabedian’s Classic Article 50 Years Later. The Milbank Quarterly, 94(2), 237–241.
- The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement
- Di Mattina, Jennifer W. MS; Pronovost, Peter J. MD, PhD; Holzmueller, Christine G. BLA Transdisciplinary Teams Spur Innovation for Patient Safety and Quality Improvement, Quality Management in Health Care: April/June 2017 – Volume 26 – Issue 2 – p 124-125 doi: 10.1097/QMH.0000000000000125
- Improving Outcomes Important to Patients
· Social Determinants of Health
- Hopps, M., Iadeluca, L., McDonald, M., & Makinson, G. T. (2017). The burden of family caregiving in the United States: work productivity, health care resource utilization, and mental health among employed adults. Journal of multidisciplinary healthcare, 10, 437–444.
- Understanding the demographic characteristics and health of medically uninsured patients, Shannon Bunn, Patrick Fleming, Damian Rzeznikiewiz, Fok-Han Leung, Canadian Family Physician Jun 2013, 59 (6) e276-e281;
- Joan Wasserman, Richard C. Palmer, Marcia M. Gomez, Rick Berzon, Said A. Ibrahim, and John Z. Ayanian, 2019: Advancing Health Services Research to Eliminate Health Care Disparities, American Journal of Public Health 109, S64_S69,
- Bal B. S. (2009). An introduction to medical malpractice in the United States. Clinical Orthopedics and related research, 467(2), 339–347.
Levine, R.A. (2012). The ACA and Access to Care http://themoderatevoice.com/the-aca-and-access-to-care/
Fuchs, V.R. (2008). Three “inconvenient truths” about health care. New England Journal of Medicine 359(17), 1749-1751. Retrieved from http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMp0807432