|Article Analysis 1|
The interpretation of research in health care is essential to decision making. By understanding research, health care providers can identify risk factors, trends, outcomes for treatment, health care costs and best practices. To be effective in evaluating and interpreting research, the reader must first understand how to interpret the findings. You will practice article analysis in Topics 2, 3, and 5.
For this assignment:
Search the Library and find three different health care articles that use quantitative research. Do not use articles that appear in the Topic Materials or textbook. Complete an article analysis for each using the “Article Analysis 1” template.
Refer to the “Patient Preference and Satisfaction in Hospital-at-Home and Usual Hospital Care for COPD Exacerbations: Results of a Randomised Controlled Trial,” in conjunction with the “Article Analysis Example 1,” for an example of an article analysis.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
Article Analysis 1 Rubric
Content (100 Points)
- Three Quantitative Articles (10 Points)- Three articles are presented. All three articles are based on quantitative research.
- Article Citation and Permalinka 2 (10 Points)- Article citation and permalink are presented. Article citation is accurately presented in APA format. Page numbers are accurate and used in all areas when citing information.
- Broad Topic Area/Title (10 Points)- Broad topic area and title are fully presented and accurate.
- Independent and Dependent Variables and Type of Data for Variables (10 Points)- Variable types and data for variables are presented and accurate.
- Population of Interest for the Study (10 Points)- Population of interest for the study is presented and accurate.
- Sample (10 Points)- Sample is presented and accurate.
- Sampling Method (10 Points)- Sampling method is presented and accurate.
- Descriptive Statistics (mean, median, mode; standard deviation) (Identify examples of descriptive statistics in the article.) (10 Points)- Descriptive statistic examples from the article are presented and accurate.
- Inferential Statistics (Identify examples of inferential statistics in the article.) (10 Points)- Inferential statistic examples from the article are presented and accurate.
- Mechanics of Writing (includes spelling, punctuation, grammar, and language use) (10 Points)- The writer is clearly in command of standard, written, academic English.