Select one of the following topics. Begin locating and evaluating sources that would be useful in gathering information about your chosen topic. Write a working thesis for your topic. Search for credible sources that support your thesis. Develop an annotated bibliography of ten sources. Annotations should include a summary of the source and information indicating the sources’ credibility.
- Affordability of college has become an important political issue. Should public colleges be tuition-free for all students? Should only community colleges be tuition-free? Should tuition be based on ability to pay?
- Is increased testing for K-12 students an effective way to raise academic standards? In what ways?
- Only about 0.5% of the U.S. population is currently serving in the military. Should the United States have mandatory military service as a way to increase this percentage? Who should be required to serve? Who should be exempt?
- Retailers and social media companies are gathering and selling data from smartphones, social apps, and other online sources about their customers and clients. Is this a danger to consumer’s and/or citizen’s privacy? Should regulations be placed on these companies that would limit their access to consumer data? Should companies be required to obtain permission from consumers before gathering and selling their data?
- Should parents and other interested citizens be permitted to censor textbooks and other literature for students in schools? Under what circumstances?